Tuesday, September 01, 2015

The Bookish Tag

To celebrate her new blog's grand opening, fellow writer and blogger Annie Hawthorne has launched a tag for all of her readers to participate in. 
The questions in the tag were too delicious to resist in answering, so I decided to go for it.  Besides, who doesn't love a good ol' book tag?  And it seems that there just aren't enough of them floating around the blogosphere.  So I thought, why not?
 
Annie writes here, at Curious Wren (isn't that such a charming blog title?)  I recommend that you check it out!
To add to the fun, Annie is also celebrating with a giveaway (if that doesn't make you want to check it out all the more I don't know what would. :-)
 
And now. . . for the delightful tag!


- The Bookish Tag -
 
 
1. What was the last book you read, and would you recommend it?
 
The last book I read was the Bible (this one tends to be read and re-read often for me), and yes, I would definitely recommend it!
 
 
2. Describe the perfect reading spot.
 
Underneath a swaying willow tree on a warm, summer's day - at a secluded spot on the beach - or, nestled cozily under a warm quilt next to the crackling fireplace.
 
 
3. Favorite book beverage? Tea? Coffee? Hot chocolate? Tears of your readers?
 
Tea.  Most definitely.
  
 
4. Share favorite quotes from four books.
 
“People laugh at me because I use big words. But if you have big ideas, you have to use big words to express them, haven't you?”  - L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
 
“Now, in Mr. Thornton’s face the straight brows fell over the clear deep-set earnest eyes, which, without being unpleasantly sharp, seemed intent enough to penetrate into the very heart and core of what he was looking at. The lines in the face were few but firm, as if they were carved in marble, and lay principally about the lips, which were slightly compressed over a set of teeth so faultless and beautiful as to give the effect of sudden sunlight when the rare bright smile, coming in an instant and shining out of the eyes, changed the whole look from the severe and resolved expression of a man ready to do and dare everything, to the keen honest enjoyment of the moment, which is seldom shown so fearlessly and instantaneously except by children”  - Elizabeth Gaskell, North & South
 
"The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." - Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey
 
“I had not intended to love him; the reader knows I had wrought hard to extirpate from my soul the germs of love there detected; and now, at the first renewed view of him, they spontaneously revived, great and strong! He made me love him without looking at me.”  - Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre
 

 
5. What is your most loved fantasy read? Dystopia? Contemporary? Sci-fi? Classic?
 
I'm not a huge fantasy reader, although I am fond of C.S. Lewis' The Chronicles of Narnia.  But my most loved fantasy read would probably be classic.  I do love a good classic novel when I'm taking a break from my non-fictional reads. :-)
 
 
6. List three authors you’ve collected the most books from.
 
Jane Austen, Beverly Lewis, Janette Oke.
 
 
 
7. What are your thoughts on magic in literature?
 
I'm not a huge supporter of magic in literature, but, I must admit that I enjoy reading about it in the classic fairytales (fairytales just wouldn't be the same without it, I think)
 
"If I'm honest I have to tell you, I still read fairytales.  And I like them best of all."
- Audrey Hepburn
 
8. What types of book covers capture your imagination most strongly? Feel free to include images.
 
Old vintage book covers that are slightly worn with gold trimmings along the edges and a captivating title (with eye-popping colors and/or possible illustrations).  I like to imagine the types of people that have had the books in their possession and where they have been transported throughout the years.  Yep.  My imagination can run all day with thoughts and ideas of these.
 
   
 
 (Note: Over the past year I have collected an entire bookshelf's worth of vintage classics -these are actually photos of a few of my copies!-  Aren't they just breathtaking??  I'm quite happy with my achievement of finding such rarities in book designs and classics.)

 
9. Mention the first book character that comes to mind. Elaborate on this.
 
Jane Eyre.  And that's probably because I was just glancing at my 'classics' bookshelf before this question when my eyes happened upon the novel.
 
 
10. Do you lend out your books? Or is that the equivalent to giving away your babies?
 
It's not very often that I do so, but if someone asks I will kindly lend it to them.  I just write my name inside of the front cover and hope that it returns to me safely.
 
 
 
 
(P.S. All photos in this post are property of this blog.  If you're interested in using or sharing my photos, feel free to message me for my permission!)

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, Evie! Feel free to participate! :-)

      Delete
  2. OH MY WORD YOUR BOOKS. Like, I'm super jealous. :-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naomi, I just happened to get really lucky with these book finds. A vintage antique store was going out of business here in town and you wouldn't believe what they were selling these vintage books for! It was insane how cheap they were. And I found so many old classics, like: Pollyanna, Gone With the Wind, Little Women, Les Miserables, The Pilgrim's Progress, Charles Dickens' novels, old school books, etc. Some date back as far as the late 1800's!
      Just keep an eye out for things like that and you may just get lucky like I did. :-)

      Delete
    2. Wow! You were very lucky indeed! AHHHH. SOME DATE BACK AS FAR AS 1800.

      Lets hope I'll be as lucky as you were one day. :-P

      Delete

"Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones." - Proverbs 16:24