Thursday, May 14, 2015

Practicing Eucharisteo

    Eucharisteo: n. a Greek word, meaning thanksgiving, to be thankful.

    I'm writing this post here today to bring to surface a struggle I have had in the past (and, occasionally, continue to have).

    . . . thankfulness, or, eucharisteo.

    Now don't get me wrong, I find joy in even the simplest of things and tend to thank God daily for all the little blessings He bestows. But at times I must question myself, why am I only thanking Him for the blessings in my life?  It is true.  When something negative occurs in my life I often times forget to thank God for the trials and tragedies I have to go through in order to build my character.  I often fail to realize that each bad experience is only making me stronger and a little more able to withstand the next trial that may come my way in the future.

    In the Bible there are numerous examples of godly men being thankful in the midst of trying circumstances:

    -  Psalm 28 depicts David’s distress. It is a cry to God for mercy and protection.  After crying out to God, he writes, Blessed be the Lord, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him.  In the midst of hardship, David remembers who God is, and as a result of knowing and trusting God, gives thanks.  
    -  Job had a similar attitude of praise, even in the face of death: “The Lord gave, and the Lord hath taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord.”  (Job 1:21).
    -  Paul was heavily persecuted, yet he wrote, Now thanks be unto God, which always causeth us to triumph in Christ, and maketh manifest the savour of his knowledge by us in every place.  (2 Corinthians 2:14). 

    -  Peter gives a reason to be thankful in 1 Peter 1:6-7, where he says, "Wherein ye greatly rejoice, though now for a season, if need be, ye are in heaviness through manifold temptations:  That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ."

    I have been guilty of lacking a spirit of thanksgiving in the past, and that is an area I am continually growing in, because lately, more than ever, I have come to realize that I truly am blessed with way more than I need, or even deserve.  We as children of God should be thankful people, realizing how much we have been blessed with.



    We should be thankful because God is worthy of our thanksgiving.  It is only right to credit Him for every gift He gives.  When we are thankful, our focus moves off selfish desires and off the pain of current circumstances.  Thankfulness is not only appropriate, but it is actually healthy and beneficial to us.  It reminds us of the bigger picture, that we belong to God, and that we have been blessed with every spiritual blessing. 

    "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ."  (Ephesians 1:3)

    Truly we have an abundant life, and gratefulness is fitting.

    May we all make it a point to be more thankful . . . for the good and bad in life.

       

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful post, Cryslyn! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It appears this is a post I missed. I tend to try to thank the Lord for seeing me through the bad times and working out all things for my good. He can take what's wrong and make it right. But sometimes it is hard for me to see how he's going to work it out! I don't specifically thank him for the bad things in life, because I think a lot of that comes from the devil and the curse on this world. i.e. it just wouldn't seem right to say, "Thanks a lot, God, for letting me stub my toe..." That's just something that happens, and maybe He will help me learn pain management, patience, or carefulness from it, but it's my fault, not His, that it happened in the first place. All in all, this is an excellent message you have hear. "In everything give thanks, for this is the will of God concerning you!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *excellent message you have here.

      We have a wonderful God!

      Delete
    2. You have some good points here, Bethany. And yes, I don't believe that God intentionally causes bad things to happen to His people. We live in a sin-filled world where random acts of chaos take place every day, as well as daily mishaps. However, my point was to explain that it's beneficial to us if we can learn to thank God for the good and bad times, only because they will make us stronger as individuals. But I definitely see your point and agree wholeheartedly. I've dealt with some tough things happening in my life; specifically an incident that took place recently which was by far the most depressing experience I have ever gone through. I found that it was difficult for me to thank God during that period, but once I was finally able to recover I was thankful that God gave me strength through it all. It may have been difficult, but if I didn't have God to lean on to for support, my experience could have been so much worse. So in that case, I was thankful that He was there to help me through it, where in the end, it only made me stronger and made it easier to handle other trials and tragedies. If you get what I mean. :-)

      Delete
    3. Yes, well said. Glad the Lord saw you through!

      Delete

"Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones." - Proverbs 16:24