Wednesday, July 02, 2014

The Straight Path


   Since I was a young girl I have acquired a slight fear of heights. I still remember that quaint familiarity of the fearful rush I get when I am reaching the elevation above and beyond what I am comfortable with.
   I can recall a specific incident some years ago when I felt compelled to express my brave side to my older brother. We had a lot of trees next to our home and I remember being awe-struck as I watched my brother climb high all the way to the peak of the large maple in our yard. From what I can remember, the tree was rather tall, much taller than our cabin was. And being the younger sister who greatly admired her older brother, I felt quite intimidated when I saw what he had accomplished.
   I am sure that you can guess what happened next -- to prove that I was capable of such venturousness, I began my journey up the maple. I made my way upward, climbing step by step, taking it slow because I still felt uneasy about being so far from ground level. I took deep breaths here and there as I worked my way to the top. Once I had reached the point where I felt that I had climbed exceptionally high, I looked below me to see if I was as high as I assumed. You can guess that I hadn't made it far at all and once I had looked down it caused great fear within and allowed me to lose concentration. I didn't continue thenceforth. The fear I had experienced deterred me from reaching my goal.
...
   This situation relates to Christianity. As Christians, we need to learn to keep our eye on the "Goal". As long as we keep our eyes on the Word of God, we will do just fine. It is when we get distracted that we lose sight of God in our lives and get ourselves into trouble.

"Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,
Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God."
Hebrews 12:1-2
   Taking our eyes off of God's Word is the most dangerous thing we could ever do. Paradoxically, it is also the easiest. We can let past hurts, troubles, or even good things like ministry distract us from the ultimate prize, which is Christ alone.

"Let thine eyes look right on, and let thine eyelids look straight before thee."
Proverbs 4:25

10 comments:

  1. Thank you for these inspiring thoughts, Cryslyn! While I've never had a fear of heights (maybe it would have been good for me if I had!) I've had other fears, and I'm grateful that God has helped me rise above them.
    By the way, I awarded you on my blog, so please feel free to check it out!
    Blessings,
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hannah! I am glad that this post inspired you. Yes, I have had many fears in my lifetime that the Lord has led me out of. I am so thankful for my Heavenly Father who has been so faithful and ever-present through all of my trials. <3

      Oh! Well thank you. I will be sure to answer the questions as soon as I am able. :)

      Delete
  2. Amen! This was so encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gabriela! I am glad you thought so. :)

      Delete
  3. Amen! Great message and so true! We need to keep our eyes on Jesus and His Word and let His perfect love cast out our fears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bethany!
      Indeed! That is one thing that I have learned to let God take control of in my life lately. :)

      Delete
  4. I absolutely love this blog post! I just found your blog and I am just amazed by the beauty of it! Not just picture and decoration beauty, but the beauty within you! ♥

    Love in Christ,
    Julia Ryan♥

    writingforhisgloryblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much, Julia! That really means a lot to me. ♥

      Warm blessings,
      Cryslyn

      Delete
  5. I am also scared of heights - terribly. This post is very inspiring and those are such true words, Thanks for sharing. :)

    Blessings,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Laura! I am so glad that you were inspired by this post!

      Blessings,
      Cryslyn

      Delete

"Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones." - Proverbs 16:24