Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Answers to my Upcoming Novel


Since I am currently in the process of writing a novel, I thought it would be fitting to begin listing things about my upcoming book. I found these questions on Naomi's Blog and took the time to answer them. Enjoy!


- What's the name of your project? When did you first come up with the idea? And how long have you been working on it?


"The Lady of Derbyshire". I came up with the idea for the story a while ago but began the process of actually writing it somewhere around 3 months ago.


- Sum up your novel in five words or less.


Historical Fiction Period Drama


- Who is your favourite character?  Tell us about him or her.


Diane Penhale. 

  • Heroine of the story. 
  • Brown hair, brown eyes. 
  • Reserved, warm-hearted and kind.
  • Has a strong love for her father and a great relationship with her older sister, Catherine.
  • Not the prettiest out of the three sisters, but considered fair and modest.
  • Tends to seem quite confused and distressed often times, but learns to overcome that later in the novel.
  • Develops a strong friendship with the male lead, Henry Claridge.

- Where does your novel take place?  What time period?


The early 1800's during the Regency Era


- What's been the hardest part to write so far?


The conversations between Diane Penhale and Mr. Claridge. She's such a modest, quiet girl and yet he's witty and talkative. So it's a bit interesting trying to fit both of their personalities into the conversations.


- Which chapter was your favourite so far?


The 1st chapter – it just turned out so well, I think.


- Can you share one of your favourite snippets?


   “Oh, you are too good, Diane; too precious to be in want of further character. Shall you ever be content, Diane?”
   Diane breathed a light sigh, realizing her lack of ebullience over the past evening. “Someday, I shall perhaps.”
   Catherine allowed herself to refer back to Mr. Wilcox. It was certain that Diane was alluding to the unfortunate event.
   “It is all Mr. Wilcox’s doing, is it not? I dare say it is he who keeps my dearest sister bound to the chains of love and refuses to release her. It would have been better if Mr. Wilcox should never have lived. He has brought you far too much pain and misery. He is certainly not a worthy man, nor amiable for that matter.”
   “Oh, but he was amiable! The kindest gentleman I have ever known.” She said in protest.
   “Well, amiable he may have been, but his disagreeable actions and lack of compassion must withhold me from thinking of him with high regard. And I do hope you do not have regrets. Pray tell me you do not, dearest sister.”
   “No. No, I do not. But I don’t know if I shall ever find love again. I have been meddled with more than I would like to admit, and though I long for it; oh how I do, I just cannot see myself happily engaged ever again.” Her response was that of repose and incompliance.
   “Do not speak so, Diane. I am confident that you will be introduced to love once again. Just give it time. I dare say Mr. Claridge is quite an agreeable gentleman. Have you not any regard for him?”
   “Oh Catherine, must we speak of this matter yet again? I have admitted my attraction to Mr. Claridge’s character and demeanor. But no, I certainly could not think higher of him than I do now. No, my heart is truly lost, incapable of ever being recovered again.”
   “Oh please, Diane. Do not speak so melancholic. I cannot bear it! I dare say that you will find your heart again. You need only look for it. I am sure, that with time, you will be fortunate enough to find it, in a place most expected. I am sure.”


- Are any aspects of your story drawn directly from your own life?  Give us an example. 


Not particularly, although Diane’s character is slightly (note that I say slightly) similar to mine.


- Your main character gets dumped into a big city in the modern era (or if you're writing a contemporary work, he/she gets dumped in medieval London).  How does he/she respond?


She would probably be quite confused!


- Who's the funniest character in your story? Tell us why! Give examples! Support your argument.  :D


As of right now, I must say Henry Claridge. He’s not particularly “funny”, but he is very witty and I thoroughly enjoy writing his dialogues.


- If you were forced to eliminate a character from your story--just wash them clean off the slate--who would it be?


Hmmm, can I select a character that has only been mentioned in my novel briefly? If so, then I’d probably opt to remove Mr. Needham, the clergyman.


- Do you have a dream-cast for your characters?


Winona Ryder 


as Diane Penhale


Max Irons 



as Henry Claridge


Morven Christie 



as Catherine Penhale


Richard Armitage 


as Colonel John Beckett


Imogen Poots 



as Anne Penhale


John Light 


as Robert Hall


And that is all I have for now. As of right now, I am unable to find good celebrities who could play the parts of Mr. and Mrs. Penhale (and other characters I have not yet mentioned).

~*~

So what do you guys think? I know I've never really posted anything about any of my books before, but since I have begun writing this one I've been more enthused to share small details about it. I guess I am more excited about it now because I've had a lot of time to write since I have been laid up for the past two weeks. So new ideas, plots and characters have made their way into my novel and I'm thrilled to be making such progress! I'm sure I will update more in the nearby future. But for now, if you have any questions, just leave me a note in the comment box!

   Until next time. :)




"I can shake off everything as I write; my sorrows disappear, my courage is reborn." - Anne Frank

13 comments:

  1. So fun! How exciting! I think I would love to read your novel. I wish you the best! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gabriela! I appreciate it! :-)

      Delete
  2. Hello Cryslyn!
    Oooh you are writing a historical fiction novel too! Mine is set in 1939 and is like the Enid Blyton school stories :).. I would love to read your novel too!! :D How great we both want Winona Ryder in our novels... dream cast...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh, how exciting! Well I should like to read your novel when it is finished as well!
      Yes! When I write scenes with Diane's character I always tend to picture Winona Ryder's face. She would fit the part so well! (if only she were still as young as she was in Little Women... lol!).

      Delete
    2. XD Yes! and same here haha. I will send you a bit via email maybe? :)

      Delete
    3. Hey your email isn't working :( maybe try emailing me first ?

      Delete
    4. Hmm, that's strange. What is your e-mail address?

      Delete
    5. umm evthemuso@gmail.com :) That's one of them not my main one but if you email that I can send it to my main one for you :)

      Delete
  3. Wow! This story sounds very good! I can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are so talented!! I could never write a story like that. That is just so amazing.

    ReplyDelete

"Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones." - Proverbs 16:24