Saturday, April 05, 2014

Scripture Cake with Maple Frosting // Recipe!


This afternoon I decided to try a new dessert from my "to-make" recipe pile. Today I decided on Scripture Cake.

Here is a little history on Scripture cake:

Scripture cake, (made and eaten at Christmas, Easter and Weddings), is also known variously around the Christian world as “Bible Cake,” “Scriptural Cake” or “Old Testament Cake". It was extremely popular in both Britain and America in the latter part of the nineteenth century. The cake was often used as a way to teach young girls to bake and learn Bible verses.

Today Scripture Cake recipes often turn up in local Church Newsletters and Magazines, some of these recipes have been ‘floating’ around for over 200 years, every so often one is plucked from obscurity, out of an old magazine edition. It is then re-printed and becomes popular once more.

From experience, I have found this recipe to be quite tasty and has become a top favorite on my cake list.

For those of you who would like the recipe, here it is!

Scripture Cake Recipe

½ cup butter (Judges 5:25)
2 cups flour (1 Kings 4:22)
¼ teaspoon salt (Leviticus 2:13)
1 cup figs (1 Samuel 30:12)
1-1/2 cups sugar (Jeremiah 6:20)
2 teaspoons baking powder (Luke 13:21)
½ cup water (Genesis 24:11)
1 cup raisins (1 Samuel 30:12)
3 eggs, separated (Isaiah 10:14)
¼ teaspoon each – cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves (1 Kings 10:10)
1 tablespoon honey (Proverbs 24:13)
¾ cup almonds (Genesis 43:11)

Blend butter, sugar, spices, and salt. Add beaten egg yolks. Sift in baking powder and flour then add the water and honey. Chop fruit and nuts and add to mixture. Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites. Pour batter into 2 rounded cake pans (or desired pan) and bake for 30 minutes at 375 degrees.
(the original recipe says to cook for an hour, but I have discovered that 30 minutes does the job perfectly - cooking longer than that may cause it to burn)


The cake after removed from the oven.
(I made two of these)


{The completed cake}

I decided to frost both cakes and top with chopped walnut pieces ( I prefer my cake to have a little delectable sweetness, but you can do what you like. ;)
I used maple frosting for this and I found that the taste of both cake and frosting blended well together.

If you'd like to try with the frosting, here is the recipe:

Maple Frosting Recipe

1 cup sugar (I used turbinado sugar, but if you like a smoother consistency you may want to use regular sugar)
¼ butter
¼ cream cheese
½ maple syrup

Melt butter on low heat and then mix in with sugar and cream cheese. Blend with a mixer on low then add the maple syrup and mix for approximately 3 minutes. 


For this recipe, I substituted walnuts for the almonds. (I have found that walnuts provide a softer texture and go well with the raisins). But again, you are free to do as you please. :)

I hope you all enjoy the recipe!


God Bless! 
And have a lovely weekend everyone!

Cryslyn


"O taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who trusts in Him!" 
Psalm 34:8

2 comments:

  1. Oh my! That looks so delicious! I will have to try your recipe out one day! Yummy!

    Ashley B.
    Like No Other Fashion
    www.likenootherfashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you'll have to let me know how you like it when you try it ;)

    ReplyDelete

"Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones." - Proverbs 16:24