Friday, January 24, 2014

Ribbon of Blue

I would like to share with you all a study I did based off of a chapter I read in Numbers. I found these scriptures to be quite interesting, and I hope this study encourages you like it did me. :)

The term "ribbon of blue" is a phrase that I found in the Old Testament. A while back I stumbled upon a book with a passage from Numbers. The few scriptures I read were really inspiring, so I decided to look them up and read more. 
Let me share with you what I read:

“And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying,
Speak unto the children of Israel, and bid them that they make them 
fringes in the borders of their garments throughout their generations,
and that they put upon the fringe of the borders a ribband of blue:
And it shall be unto you for a fringe, that ye may look upon it,
and remember all the commandments of the Lord, and do them;
and that ye seek not after your own heart and your own eyes,
 after which ye use to go a whoring:
That ye may remember, and do all my commandments,
and be holy unto your God.”

Numbers 15:37-40 (KJV)

After reading and re-reading these verses, I did a small study and wrote down my take on the scriptures.

In this short excerpt from Numbers, God had commanded the children of Israel to make themselves fringes on the borders of their garments, and put upon it a blue ribbon. The ribbon was to remind the Israelites to keep God’s commandments instead of following after their own desires.


I immediately became enthralled with the idea behind the passage and decided to ‘put on my own ribbon of blue’.

There are many in this world who struggle with seeking after their own heart instead of following God’s perfect will for their lives.
Temptation is everywhere, and it can be very difficult trying to live in God’s best when we are living in a world full of sin. It is easy to brush off small evils as being “harmless”. But, God’s Word tells us to “abstain from all appearances of evil.” (1 Thess 5:22).
Even the smallest of evils can affect a person in a negative way, causing one to lose track of their Christian walk and slowly stray from God’s Word.
I am sure that every growing Christian strives to live as close to the God’s Word as they can. But what happens when we are tempted? Satan tries hard to tempt us, but as Christians we need to abstain from those fleshly desires. There are times when the fleshly temptation may seem small and harmless, but somewhere in the back of our minds we know for a fact that it is wrong.
That voice in our subconscious (The Holy Spirit) speaks to us daily. But sadly, there are times when we tune that voice out and refuse to head God’s warning.

That is why, to me, the idea of putting on a “ribbon of blue” was very appealing.
Having a constant reminder to follow God’s commandments instead of our own fleshly desires may help to prevent a person from making mistakes that could possibly bring about guilt, pain, and regret.
Who wants a weight of guilt and regret on their shoulders? I certainly don't.

So, as a reminder that I should strive to remain holy and faithful to my Lord and Savior, I took a small, blue ribbon and tied it to my right wrist.



This simple ribbon is used as a symbol for me, so that whenever I am tempted to follow after my own desires instead of God’s, I glance at the ribbon and know that no matter how momentarily pleasurable or comforting the sin may be, no sin is worth missing what God has for us.
Why should we continue to cultivate unconsecrated words or actions?

Not only does this ribbon remind me of my commitment to Christ, but it also helps to remind me of Jesus's loving sacrifice, and all He went through to redeem my soul. 
I use this experiment more for a symbol -- as a way of showing my devotion to God by applying this blue fringe from a biblical incident.

This experiment works for me, and I greatly encourage any young woman (or man, for that matter) to do the same. And it doesn’t necessarily have to be a ribbon. A bracelet, rubber band, or piece of yarn will do the trick. Anything that will help to remind you of your commitment to God and His commandments.

It was definitely an experiment I enjoyed trying, and the blue ribbon continues to remind me daily of the wonderful God I serve. :)


"Make me to go in the path of Thy commandments; for therein do I delight."
Psalm 119:35

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones." - Proverbs 16:24